It was a big weekend in sport!
- Pushies Galore Bowlocross went into social media meltdown when Robbie McEwen, and a mate of his, Mark Skroblin, turned up. And raced. How freaking cool is that!
- Brad Norman turned up dressed as He Man. Michael McMahon wore an increasingly skimpy white dress. I was in whites, befitting our location (Holland Park Bowls Club), and sporting a 2000 Sydney Olympic tie. We had a relay race featuring helmet covers as the relay ‘batons’. The fabric covers had animal designs such as panda, frog, chicken, fox, penguin etc. My team were pussycats.
- I raced against AB and Emma in the ‘Barefoot’ class, which turned out to be great fun, and also meant I could do the live commentary for the main races in which Robbie McEwen was racing. Good call! In our second race, Emma was miked up for live commentary as well, and that was heaps of fun. Until she binned it on some loose gravel and scratched a hole in the Spesh-Lululemon knicks! Tragedy!
- Not only did Robbie and Mark ride that bank, and mono-hop like madmen. They also finished each race with a wheelie of at least 30 metres. In the last race, Robbie popped the front wheel into the air, and then proceeded to take both hands off the bars, while still pedalling along. O. M. G.
- I don’t know how you could top the fun factor at Pushies Galore’s events. Nice work Gavin & Richard!
- In faraway Sydney, Imogen smashed it to third place in the Convict 100, one of the major marathons on the NSW scene. And has earnt herself a trip to race in the Transalp mtb stage race in Europe, apparently. I suspect/hope more details will be forthcoming!
Other people’s views of Bowl-o-cross: